Skip to main content

Feedback Thoughts

The two articles I read for this assignment were 5 Tips For Taking Feedback Like a Champ and Recalibrating the Perfectionist Mind, which were both very insightful, and really got me thinking about personal feedback and perfectionism. I would classify myself as a mild perfectionist, whenever I do something, I want it to be perfect. I made a lot of art in high school, and was never really satisfied with it, even when other people thought it was good. The second article I read talked about this, and how perfectionism can be used as a skill rather than a negative trait, by focusing on the positive aspects of what can happen and working towards that, rather than preemptively expecting a negative result even before you have completed an objective, like a test. I hope to be able to use this and other tips in this article to reduce the test anxiety I feel, which will undoubtedly turn into project anxiety when I enter the workforce. 

I can acknowledge that I can be sensitive to negative feedback, even when I know it's coming. I can be defensive, or get down about the mistakes I made. I want to be able to avoid that in the future, because learning from your mistakes is honestly more beneficial than learning from success. That's why I read the first article on taking feedback well. I want to be able to receive feedback, even negative ones, in a positive light to be able to improve myself and my performance. Learning and growing is an extremely positive thing, and I am always striving towards that goal, so I will try to focus on finding positive intentions behind my deficiencies as the article suggests to allow myself to handle negative feedback better in the future. 

Beating Problems, Stress, and Pain, Meme generated by me (Source: imgflip.com)

Comments

  1. I've also struggled with test anxiety, and the article's tips really do help if you apply them in the right way. Taking feedback properly will get you really far in engineering, since managers look for improvement instead of just results. Engineering is very competitive, so the more you improve, the better off you are. Good luck on all of your improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callum,

    Dude I know about being a perfectionist with art. Once when I was in high school I burned a sketchbook because I was so frustrated with my skill level. Then like ten years later I look at old sketches from that time and I’m a shocked that they were actually pretty good. It goes to show, just like you can never trust a fart, you can never trust your brain when it comes to art. ;)
    NICE MEME haha hopefully this can be a good environment for you. I’ve been terrified to leave comments (reverse fear of negative feedback) but once I finally started I’ve realized it’s not that bad!

    Cheers,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineering Major

My name is Callum Maguire, and I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. The coolest class I took last semester was AC Systems, which explored how air conditioning systems work and how they cool down rooms. Get it? Coolest class? Jokes aside, it was a very interesting course that opened my eyes to how complex a system the air conditioning in a building is, as even a single room can be a lot to deal with as far as calculations go. I was raised on Star Wars and Tolkien, so they happen to be some of my favorite works, however I'm also very fond of superhero movies, sitcoms like Community and IT Crowd, as well as sci-fi and fantasy novels. Long story short, I'm a nerd. Best movie I've seen recently is The Last Jedi, which is something of a controversial opinion I guess, but I don't care. I enjoyed it, and that's all there is to it. I recently re-read one of my childhood favorite novels, Redwall, which was a nice trip down memory lane. It was clear that it wasn

Comment Wall

The Ruins of the Old World (Source:  pixabay ) Race for the Prize

Week 7 Story: Demon Days

Long ago, in the land of Midor, there lived a humble man by the name of Shakiro. He was a simple man, and he led a simple life. One day, when Shakiro was wandering about the forest, searching for food, he encountered a a creature that had become trapped by some kind of strange apparatus. When he approached the odd creature, he was surprised to hear the creature speak to him! "Hello there, human. I was trapped here, unable to escape my bindings without assistance from a human... I don't imagine you'd be willing to help, so just run away now like the rest of your kind." This perplexed Shakiro, as he couldn't figure out why the creature would just assume he wouldn't help out. If Shakiro was anything, he was generous! He looked the creature up and down and decided he seemed harmless enough. "I will not run away!" Exclaimed Shakiro, "I'm going to free you, my friend." He took care to break the chains that held the creatu