Skip to main content

Reading Notes: PDE Ramayana, Section C

The Burning of Lanka 

Source: Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914)

Lanka in Flames (Source: Wikimedia)

I liked the tale of Hanuman burning the city of Lanka down with the fire that was lit by the rakshasas themselves, making them their own downfall. I think it could be re-told in a different way, in a modern setting. Rather than have a fire be lit on Hanuman's tail, I would have the villains plant a computer virus on a person's computer. Maybe the person would even be an android or something, and the virus was planted directly in them, in an attempt to disable them or deal them harm. For special reasons, perhaps prior preparation or special design, the virus does not affect "Hanuman", instead lying dormant in his downloads. He takes the virus and uses it against his enemies, running around the base of operations they have locked him in, downloading the virus onto their machines and destroying them. 

After infecting the base with the virus, he would grow fearful that his actions would cause the virus to spread across all networks that were connected to the base, but learns that the base as been cut-off. Relieved that he has not released a terrible computer virus onto the web, he escapes from the base and returns home.

This spin on the tale would be interesting I think, and would cast the story in a completely different genre, which is always refreshing. I could even have a character playing the role of Sita that hacks into "Hanuman's" device (or himself if he's an android) and disable the virus, preventing it from affecting him. This would mimic how Sita prays for the fire to not damage him, but remain flammable to those around him. I just watched Blade Runner 2049 recently, and so I've been thinking of that kind of world that this would be set in, hence where I got the inspiration for the part of Hanuman being played by an android.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineering Major

My name is Callum Maguire, and I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. The coolest class I took last semester was AC Systems, which explored how air conditioning systems work and how they cool down rooms. Get it? Coolest class? Jokes aside, it was a very interesting course that opened my eyes to how complex a system the air conditioning in a building is, as even a single room can be a lot to deal with as far as calculations go. I was raised on Star Wars and Tolkien, so they happen to be some of my favorite works, however I'm also very fond of superhero movies, sitcoms like Community and IT Crowd, as well as sci-fi and fantasy novels. Long story short, I'm a nerd. Best movie I've seen recently is The Last Jedi, which is something of a controversial opinion I guess, but I don't care. I enjoyed it, and that's all there is to it. I recently re-read one of my childhood favorite novels, Redwall, which was a nice trip down memory lane. It was clear that it wasn

Comment Wall

The Ruins of the Old World (Source:  pixabay ) Race for the Prize

Week 7 Story: Demon Days

Long ago, in the land of Midor, there lived a humble man by the name of Shakiro. He was a simple man, and he led a simple life. One day, when Shakiro was wandering about the forest, searching for food, he encountered a a creature that had become trapped by some kind of strange apparatus. When he approached the odd creature, he was surprised to hear the creature speak to him! "Hello there, human. I was trapped here, unable to escape my bindings without assistance from a human... I don't imagine you'd be willing to help, so just run away now like the rest of your kind." This perplexed Shakiro, as he couldn't figure out why the creature would just assume he wouldn't help out. If Shakiro was anything, he was generous! He looked the creature up and down and decided he seemed harmless enough. "I will not run away!" Exclaimed Shakiro, "I'm going to free you, my friend." He took care to break the chains that held the creatu