Skip to main content

Week 6 Story: The Tournament of Brides

When the time came for the three daughters of King Volkar to come of age, he decided to hold a great tournament to win their hands in marriage. The winner of the tournament would get to choose from the three his wife, the man who came in second would choose from the two who remained, and the man in third would get the last daughter. These men would gain prestige under the King, gaining lands and would live forever pleased.

A man named Bareth would not stand for this. As a wandering hedge knight, he had seen countless daughters sold off by their fathers like they were nothing, and it was time that he made a stand against it. Bareth arrived at the tournament with no squire or retinue in tow, just himself and his weapons. He was skilled in both the bow and the blade, but he would need more than just mere skill to complete his task this day.

At the word of King Volkar, the tournament began, and all the knights and princes from far off lands began to do battle for the princesses. As the jousting, melee, and archery competitions raged on, the daughters sat above with apprehension in their eyes, wondering which one of these men they would be forced to live the rest of their lives with.

As the battle raged on, Bareth soon appeared as the front runner. He was easily dispatching his opponents, and was doing so with style. He moved with an unworldly grace, and each of the daughters were drawn to him in eagerness. Of all the men in the tournament, he was the one they all hoped would be their groom.

Bareth Adorned in his Armor (Source: pxhere)

After the long day of fighting, the three winners at been crowned, with Bareth claiming the top prize. He walked in front of the elevated platform the daughters waited upon with baited breath, his sword still in one hand and his bow slung across his back. He looked at them and smiled, before turning his attention to the crowd, and the King himself.

"For my choice, I choose... all three princesses." The crowd gasped, and the King's mouth fell agape. "I choose not to claim them as my brides, but to free them from their burden of serving men like you." This last comment was directed at the King specifically.

Furious, the King stood from his throne and exclaimed, "You two, kill this man where he stands!" Pointing to the two men who had come in second and third. They sprung to action, drawing their blades and rushing towards Bareth. With two strokes of his blade, he disposed of the two suitors and they fell at his feet, injured but not mortally.

"The man who kills this traitor will have his choice of my daughters as if he had won the tournament itself!" King Volkar declared to the crowd, and every man in attendance sprung to his feet, reaching for their weapons, prepared to do battle.

Bareth drew his bow, and began picking off as many as he could before they drew too close to him. When they did, he threw it down, drew his sword, and danced through the throng of men. When the dust settled, only Bareth was left standing. In front of him now stood the King himself.

"If I must, I will win my own daughters to keep them from someone who spits in the face of tradition like you." King Volkar charged at Bareth, but he was too burdened by he jewels and his drink to stand any chance at winning. Bareth easily put the King to his knees, but was careful to avoid a killing blow. He sheathed his sword, and bid to the daughters.

"Now, tell me your names. I will accompany you to a far off land, where you will be seen not as prizes to be won, but as people just like anyone else." With a smile, each one joined him and they rode to freedom.

Author's Note
In the original tale, the three daughters of Benares were to be given to whoever won them in battle at a tournament. Bhishma arrived and declared them to be his, so everyone else tried to fight him. He was able to easily defeat them due to his exceptional archery skills. He then took them back home to be the brides of his half-brother who would be King.
I thought that Bhishma's motivations in the original story were kind of creepy, so I decided to try to make it less so by having Bhishma's character, in my story Bareth, take the girls to freedom rather than to be brides. I tried to spice up the combat and the dialogue from the original, while keeping a similar tone and plot.

Comments

  1. Hey Cal! Great story again this week. I liked your take on this tale. It is definitely an interesting version of a knight in shining armor type of story. Again, your names are on point. The king has the perfect name for a medieval tyrant. Anyways, another great story Cal! I am always looking forward to what you write next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

The Ruins of the Old World (Source:  pixabay ) Race for the Prize

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineering Major

My name is Callum Maguire, and I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. The coolest class I took last semester was AC Systems, which explored how air conditioning systems work and how they cool down rooms. Get it? Coolest class? Jokes aside, it was a very interesting course that opened my eyes to how complex a system the air conditioning in a building is, as even a single room can be a lot to deal with as far as calculations go. I was raised on Star Wars and Tolkien, so they happen to be some of my favorite works, however I'm also very fond of superhero movies, sitcoms like Community and IT Crowd, as well as sci-fi and fantasy novels. Long story short, I'm a nerd. Best movie I've seen recently is The Last Jedi, which is something of a controversial opinion I guess, but I don't care. I enjoyed it, and that's all there is to it. I recently re-read one of my childhood favorite novels, Redwall, which was a nice trip down memory lane. It was clear that it wasn

Week 7 Story: Demon Days

Long ago, in the land of Midor, there lived a humble man by the name of Shakiro. He was a simple man, and he led a simple life. One day, when Shakiro was wandering about the forest, searching for food, he encountered a a creature that had become trapped by some kind of strange apparatus. When he approached the odd creature, he was surprised to hear the creature speak to him! "Hello there, human. I was trapped here, unable to escape my bindings without assistance from a human... I don't imagine you'd be willing to help, so just run away now like the rest of your kind." This perplexed Shakiro, as he couldn't figure out why the creature would just assume he wouldn't help out. If Shakiro was anything, he was generous! He looked the creature up and down and decided he seemed harmless enough. "I will not run away!" Exclaimed Shakiro, "I'm going to free you, my friend." He took care to break the chains that held the creatu