Skip to main content

Week 10 Planning: The Tree Spirit's Plea

THE SPIRIT THAT LIVED IN A TREE


Source: Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie L. Shedlock

I plan to change up a few things, including the origin of the tree spirit. I think it could have an interesting backstory, along with more detailed relationships to the other trees in the grove that are his children. I also want to expand on the king's story, detailing his reasoning for wanting to build a palace from the tree.

I plan to make the tree-spirit into a Yakshini, rather than the Buddha re-born. I think this will mesh better, with the tree-spirit trying to protect her children.

I think the premise of wanting to build a mighty palace built on one single beam of a tree is kind of dumb, so I think I will focus on the tree have a godly magnificence that the king is drawn to. He wants his palace to exude that same aura of godliness that the tree does. Additionally, the king will want to make his throne from the heart of the tree, symbolizing his belief that his family was chosen by the gods to rule these lands.

The Tree Spirit (Source: wikimedia)

At the end of the story, rather than the king simply giving up on making the palace and the tree getting her way, I am going to have them come to a compromise. The tree will grow a mighty throne for the king, as a gift for agreeing to spare her and her children. The tree-spirit will form her branches into a magnificent seat for the king, so long as he promises to always protect this forest. The two agree, and the story ends with the king sitting upon his new throne, conversing with the tree spirit, part of whom still resides in the branches that make up the seat.

Finally, I do want to update the language, getting away from the old sounding language that is used in the original story. I find that it gets in the way of a modern reader, as it sounds clunky now. I think my story will be easier to read because of this, and therefor more enjoyable.

Comments

  1. Hi Cal. Wandered over here since I already hit your intro. If you want to see some good magic tree inspiration, check out this person's storybook. You don't need to read it, just the tree in the background. Of course, if you ever have a chance to read someone's thing from the other class, Myths and Folklore, I highly recommend this blog. She's a dope writer.
    https://sites.google.com/view/thedragonundertheyew/part-ii

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cal! I think this is a really cool idea for a story. I haven’t read the original, so I can’t give you any suggestions; at least not thematically accurate ones. I can, however, confirm what Nate is saying. That person’s storybook was in fact dope. She is a really good writer. Anyways, I hope you turn this into a story, it looks super cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

The Ruins of the Old World (Source:  pixabay ) Race for the Prize

Introduction to a Mechanical Engineering Major

My name is Callum Maguire, and I am a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. The coolest class I took last semester was AC Systems, which explored how air conditioning systems work and how they cool down rooms. Get it? Coolest class? Jokes aside, it was a very interesting course that opened my eyes to how complex a system the air conditioning in a building is, as even a single room can be a lot to deal with as far as calculations go. I was raised on Star Wars and Tolkien, so they happen to be some of my favorite works, however I'm also very fond of superhero movies, sitcoms like Community and IT Crowd, as well as sci-fi and fantasy novels. Long story short, I'm a nerd. Best movie I've seen recently is The Last Jedi, which is something of a controversial opinion I guess, but I don't care. I enjoyed it, and that's all there is to it. I recently re-read one of my childhood favorite novels, Redwall, which was a nice trip down memory lane. It was clear that it wasn

Week 7 Story: Demon Days

Long ago, in the land of Midor, there lived a humble man by the name of Shakiro. He was a simple man, and he led a simple life. One day, when Shakiro was wandering about the forest, searching for food, he encountered a a creature that had become trapped by some kind of strange apparatus. When he approached the odd creature, he was surprised to hear the creature speak to him! "Hello there, human. I was trapped here, unable to escape my bindings without assistance from a human... I don't imagine you'd be willing to help, so just run away now like the rest of your kind." This perplexed Shakiro, as he couldn't figure out why the creature would just assume he wouldn't help out. If Shakiro was anything, he was generous! He looked the creature up and down and decided he seemed harmless enough. "I will not run away!" Exclaimed Shakiro, "I'm going to free you, my friend." He took care to break the chains that held the creatu